A website’s SEO purpose is served only when its search-engine friendly. To establish this objective, it is very important to pay major attention to the post taxonomies. For the people who are unaware of the term, ‘taxonomies’, they are criteria of grouping things together. All the content that is being offered to the reader on a site is in the form of posts. The structure of these posts defines how well the information is being divided in order to be displayed.
A proper post structure organizes the content in the right manner with a proper flow of information to help the viewer have a hassle-free experience. However, you don’t need to be a professional web developer in order to setup WordPress site/blog properly.
‘Tags’ and ‘Categories’ make up for the basic blog post structure. They are entirely different in terms of the functionality they offer but are mostly misunderstood as interchangeable entities. There are many questions that surround these elements such as which of these two are more useful for the site’s SEO? How many categories or tags should be allotted in a single post of a WordPress site? Let’s read further to help you answer all the questions that you might have.
What are Categories?
RedWaves is a blazing fast and lightweight WordPress Blog theme yet powerful and very customizable with responsive design, clean code, SEO friendly and Adsense ready.
- check Fully Responsive
- check Unlimited Colors & Styles
- check Premium Plugins Included
- check Optimized for AdSense
If we think of your blog posts as a book, then we are clearly in a state to parallelize ‘Categories’ with the chapters of the book. Whenever a site visitor is looking for a particular type of information, categories help them by guiding through. They let the readers know the summary or the subject matter of your blog post by organizing the content as a topic.
Categories further contain sub-categories. They are very important for your posts because they pretty much make up for the larger chuck of the structural data. So, categorizing your post is a must. If you fail to do so, your post then will be identified and listed under the “uncategorized” category.
Choosing the relevant category for each of your site’s post is definitely helpful for your sites’ SEO because that is how the search engines will identify the content of your post and hence present it every time a search is being made.
What is a Tag?
Tags represent the very essence of your WordPress post by describing your content. They delve into the detail and describe it. In the simplest terms, tags can be compared to the index of a book.
To simplify this further, let’s consider this example. You run a generic blog that portrays your daily life shenanigans. It will have blog posts about food, traveling, music, books, decor etc. It will be every day that you would write about things like a place you traveled to or the latest music album review.
Now, the post with the travel theme can have tags like hills, mountains, etc. The post where you have reviewed the album can have tags such as music album, rock, etc. In a nutshell, tags simply focus on the key elements of your posts.
It is not imperative to provide tags to your posts and it is important to note that each tag can be relevant for more than one category. Remember, there are no sub-tags.
Right ‘Categories’ and ‘Tag’ practices
A lot of your WordPress post structure depends upon the website builder you have used. However, to help you provide the apt tags and categories to your blog posts, irrespective of the builder used – here is a brief list of what should and what should not be done when choosing them for your posts to enhance search engine optimization.
- If you have a simple site or your blog site is just new, it’s good to start with a fewer categories. If your site has a large amount of complex data, you can go ahead with as many as relevant categories that you can think of.
- Always begin with simple categories and do not attempt to draw sub-categories at this stage.
- Pay most of the importance and efforts to relevancy of the categories you are choosing. If they are half hazard, they will lose their purpose.
- When naming your categories, think like the user who is sitting on the other end. Make sure to think their way.
- Ponder over the terms they will use in order to run a search for the results they are looking for.
- Too many categories mean trouble for your site’s SEO.
- At a maximum, provide two categories to a single post and at a minimum, one category is a must.
- Non-compulsive usage of tags does not make them less important. So, it is always a wiser choice of tagging your WordPress blog post.
- Tags serve the purpose of relating your posts together. You can choose to have as many tags as possible or can go with the choice of having none. However, allotting up to 5-6 tags can be optimal.
- Do not treat your tags as keywords only because they tell the reader about the key element from the post summary. Doing so will dilute the density of your site’s keyword.
- Be firm with the tag capitalization. This will help you skip duplication of several tags.
- Do not get very technical while naming your tag because an average internet user might never use that technical word to run a Google search.
- Whenever you update your existing posts, clear up the duplicate or non-relevant tags.
- Use tags that are conclusive and short.
At the end of the day, we all want greater user engagement for our blog posts and strive hard to achieve this. After all, the site content is for user’s consumption. So, how about making it simpler for your site visitors to find the information they are looking for. Consider tags and categories as your allies in this pursuit and your posts will fetch more readers than ever.
With so many practices in trend, it gets a little overwhelming for an average WordPress admin to deal with the technicalities. We hope that all the information that we have discussed above has helped you understand the overall concept and difference between post categories and tags.
Let us know if you still have questions or would like to share some suggestion about the same. Kindly do so by dropping a comment below.